Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Marvel Tops 5

Dangnabbit, Marvel!

You've gotta admit: they wouldn't give this line to a white guy.
We like to play Top 5 in our family. Inspired by the incessant lists in High Fidelity (book AND movie), we pick a topic—whether broad (Favorite TV Show) or ridiculously specific (Dumbest Line Spoken By a Harry Potter Character After Dumbledore Escapes Arrest [clue: Kingsley wins])—and take turns listing our Top 5 picks for the category (in no particular order). It's a good way to waste time while in queue for something, at least, even if our answers for similar categories probably change each time we play. 

Well, I just saw Black Panther. And, chatting with my daughter as we left, we realized that compiling a Marvel Movie Top 5 has become virtually impossible. Clearly, Black Panther was awesome in virtually every single way, from the distinct soundtrack to the stellar acting to the well-shot action sequences to more strong, compelling women of color than the entirety of mainstream cinema tends to feature in an entire year. Even Marvel Studios
Is this about T'Challa or the movie? Well, either way,
the answer is yes.
president Kevin Feige called it their best film, and I don’t mind agreeing with him. But Spider-Man: Homecoming was a blast. And did you see what they did with Thor: Ragnarok? They made a highly entertaining Thor movie! Who knew that was even possible?! And, of course, I haven’t lost my love for the original Guardians of the Galaxy, even though it was released way back in 2014. You need to respect the classics. Plus, I’m still a sucker for Captain America: The First Avenger. I love the 40’s. And it reminds me of Agent Carter, which might still be my favorite Marvel show.

Is this a prophylactic subungual onychomycosis?
Also...where should I rate The Winter Soldier?
You see the dilemma. How can I ever compile a Top 5 Marvel Movie list now? I can obviously leave off Thor: The Dark World, but doesn’t The Avengers still deserve some love? “Puny God.” Ha! The problem is that there are more than five movies that I really enjoy in the MCU now. What can I do? I need to do something. So many people are depending on me! Okay. I can do this. Doctors and police officers need to make difficult choices daily. This is for them.

TOP 5 MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE MOVIES
(In No Particular Order)

1. Black Panther
2. (tie) Captain America: The First Avenger, Guardians of the Galaxy
3. (tie) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok
4. (tie) Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5. (tie) Captain America: Civil War, The Avengers, Iron Man

Oh my gosh. I did it. I don’t know how, but I did it. I did it, and I’ll stand by this list any day!

Well, until Infinity War comes out.


What do you think? What’s your pick for MCU Top 5? 

No comments:

Post a Comment